Because who couldn’t benefit from a moment of pause?
If you’d like to delay your email delivery by 5 minutes, create this Outlook rule. The message will sit in your Outbox for the specified length of time, giving you the necessary time to re-open and, if so warranted, edit the item before re-sending.
Setting a Send Delay Rule in Outlook
- On the Home Tab click Rules and select Manage Rules & Alerts.
- Click New Rule. The Rules Wizard Dialog appears.
- At the bottom of Step 1: Select a template area, click Apply rule on messages I send, then click Next. The dialog will advance to Step 1: Select conditions.
- Click Next. A message appears; “This rule will be applied to every message you send. Is this correct?” Click Yes to confirm.
- In the Step 1: Select action(s) area, check defer deliver by a number of minutes.
- In the Step 2: Edit the rule description area, click a number of, enter the delay (e.g., 5), then click OK.
- Click Next. The dialog will advance to Step 1: Select exceptions. Click Next.
- In the Step 1: Specify a name for this rule, enter a name (e.g., “Send in 5 minutes”)
- Check Turn on this Rule, and click Finish.
Enjoying your vacation? How can you, when you have that nagging urge to check your email, and the added anxiety of returning to a mountain of email upon your return?
Arianna Huffington’s wellness company, Thrive Global, adopted a simple solution: During the time an employee is on vacation, new emails are deleted and the sender is urged to callback later.
“Thank you for your email. I am out of the office … please email me again when I return as this email will be deleted“
Their tool, Thrive Away, takes the pressure off employees to respond to the emails received during vacation. But you don’t need to work at Thrive to employ this strategy. Here are instructions on how to set up your own Delete-and-Reply Vacation AutoResponder using Outlook.
Creating a Delete-and-Reply Rule in Outlook
- Click File and select Automatic Replies.
- Check Send automatic replies.
- Check Only send during this time range and set vacation time.
- Leave Inside my organization field blank.
- Click Outside my organizatIon tab and enter a ‘.’
(This field is required, but will be superseded by the rule template).
- Click Rules.
- Click Add Rules.
- Check Delete and Reply with, then click Template.
- Enter reply text (for example, “Sorry I’m not home right now, I’m walking on a spiderweb..in Ibizia. Your message has been shredded into less than nothingness. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or re-email me when and if I return”).
- Click OK, and click Yes to confirm ‘all senders’.
- OK. OK.
Don’t miss a post; Follow my blog with Bloglovin