What’s New in Excel 2013? Timeline Slicers !
Timeline Slicers are a feature new to Excel 2013.
If your PivotTable contains dates, a Timeline Slicer affords you and your reviewers an easy method to filter and scale of the dates displayed..
(For detailed instructions on creating PivotTables review the 5 minute video tutorial PivotTables and Slicers )
Inserting the Timeline Slicer
- Click here to open the file PivotTable Advanced Functions.xls file.
- Review the Sales sheet. This is the source of our PivotTable data.
- Click the Summary Sheet. A PivotTable has already been inserted, with the dates of Weekly Sales displayed in Rows, and a Slicer for the Category field applied.
- Select one of the cells containing data (e.g. A4).
- On the Ribbon, on the PIVOTTABLE TOOLS: ANALYZE tab, in the Filters group, click Insert Timeline. The Insert Timelines dialog appears.
- Check Weekly Sales and click OK. The Weekly Sales Timeline Slicer appears.
Working with Timeline Slicers
- CLICK or CLICK+ DRAG on the timescale to filter timeline.
- To change the scale, click the Level drop-down, at right, and select Years, Quarters, Months, or Days.
- To quickly format, select a style from the Timeline Styles on the TIMELINE TOOLS: OPTIONS tab of the Ribbon.
Comments and questions are always welcome!