This hidden gem, (available with Office Professional 2013, 2016, and Office 365 ProPlus) makes it easy to compare two workbooks, interactively. You can see how values, formulas, and formatting differ – line by line, and cell by cell, highlighting just the type of differences you specify.
To Use Spreadsheet Compare
- Find and launch the app by clicking Start then typing ‘Spreadsheet Compare’.
- Click Compare Files. The Compare Files dialog appears.
- Click the folder icon to select the older and newer files, then click OK.
- Hidden Excel: Find Date Differences with DATEDIF
- Excel Text Functions 1 of 4: =LEFT() and =RIGHT()
- Using Histogram for Data Analysis
With a recent change to Alexa, you can now opt-out of having your voice recordings reviewed by Amazon’s employees.
Why the change? Is it the reports of Google and Apple employees listening in on personal exchanges recorded by the voice-activated assistants? Or perhaps it’s a response to European courts rulings limiting what companies (like Amazon) can do with the data collected by said voice-activated assistants.
To Opt-Out of Human Review
- Open the Alexa app on your phone or tablet.
- Select Settings, Alexa Privacy, then Manage How Your Data Improves Alexa.
- Locate the setting “With this setting on, your voice recordings may be used … manually reviewed.” and tap OFF.
Your Amazon orders, Square purchases, and Seamless lunches. Pretty much everything you buy online as well as in-store purchases where you opt to have your receipt emailed; all of this is collated in your Purchases history; saved and mined by Google.
The company says this is done to help you track your purchases, and not to help them to produce those targetted ads you receive. Still, the level of detail being culled will surprise you.
This unheralded (read: sneaky) feature can’t be turned off and there is no method to erase your entire purchase history. You can, however, selectively delete items from it.
(like that ‘Best of David Hasselhoff ‘ album you thought you had to get)
To see and delete items from your Purchases history
- Navigate to your Purchases Page: https://myaccount.google.com/purchases
- Click an item to display more Details on that purchase
- To delete, click Remove Item
with special thanks to Di, recipient of said album
Recently, a hole in Whatsapp’s security allowed hackers to install malware on unprotected phones. To see if your Android apps are secure, enable Protect on Google Play.
To Review or Enable Play Protect:
On your Android, access Settings , Security.
If enabled, you are able to see the time and status of your last scan.
To modify your settings, tap Google Play Protect
For today’s U.S. movie debut, Google drops an Avengers Endgame easter egg.
To snap half your search results out of existence
- In Chrome, enter ‘thanos’ in your search window
- Click the Gauntlet
5/1 Addendum: To reverse time (and restore your searches) click the Gauntlet again.
Earlier this year, Google made a few small but value-added updates to Gmail. Now, in addition to Strikethrough, and Undo/Redo Gmail is rolling out Scheduled send.
To help take some of the edge off tax season, today, the internet unleashes its own bevy of fake (but fun) news. Enjoy this sampling of some of the day’s April foolery
Play Snakes in Google Maps
Google Files Screen Cleaner option: “Using haptic vibration, it keeps your device clean inside and out”
Google Tulip: “More Water!” Because what better way to know what tulips need than to ask them.
Uncovering a Super Volcano beneath Sidney Australia
With these push notifications, the elephant… or, owl is in the room.:
Watch this space for more…
And for a look back at previous First of April Fun: