Wanna sleuth your way around a tech giant’s Mountainview campus? Google has embedded this retro text adventure game and all you need is a web browser (and infinite patience) to play.
To launch Google’s text adventure game
- Launch your Chrome, Firefox or Edge browser.
- Search for ‘text adventure’.
- RIGHT+CLICK on the results page and select Inspect
- CLICK the Console tab. The text “Would you like to play a game?” appears.
- Enter ‘yes’ at the > prompt
Cheers (with special thanks, to Di, for passing this along)!
Planning a group outing just got easier.
As part of a recent mobile update you are now able to share a list of places (e.g., restaurants) with your friends and they can vote their preferred meeting place. This should cut down on the volume of email/sms traffic it takes for a group to pick a watering hole.
Just create a list, then share it; your friends will be taken right to Google Maps mobile, where they will be able to cast their vote 👍👎 on proposed venues. They can even add additional locations to the decision matrix.
Take that, Kyrie Irving!…
Perhaps in a bid to win over Flat-Earthers, when zoomed out in Google Maps, you’ll see a round Earth instead of a flat map.
Because Sharing is Caring!…
Google Map’s Location Sharing just received an update that allows you to view your location sharer’s battery status.
Why? Well, if your friend’s battery goes dead, the phone, and it’s location information, is sure to follow. At least, armed with this foreknowledge, you’ll know why they went off the grid and not take it personally.
Want to know how far that hike is?
To Measure Distances in Google Maps
- In Google Maps search for or navigate to the desired area.
- RT + CLICK on the starting point and select Measure distance.
- CLICK on the the endpoint (repeat this step for multiple turns/points).
iOS users, now you can swap that boring blue Nav arrow for a flashy red sport car or a sensible pickup truck.
What? no Go Karts?
To Select Your Vehicle in Google Maps
- Launch Google Maps, and start navigation.
- Tap the Nav arrow. The Choose Vehicle pane will appear.
- Select preferred vehicle and enjoy that new car smell!
Google Lens, is making its presence known, as a stand-alone app, and as an upgraded feature of Photos (for select Android phones*). With Lens’ OCR (object-character-recognition) capabilities, you can easily:
*16-Mar update: Google Lens now also avail on iOS on devices.
- Create a Contact from a printed business card
- Initiate a a web-search the Web using an image
- Translate the menu at a restaurant
To Activate Lens
- Take a picture and view it using Photos
- Tap the Lens icon .
Comments and questions are always welcome!