Want to show page count in a multi-section document?
On the distant heels of my renumbering slides post, here are instructions to create Page x of y style numbering in a multiple section document. In a simpler document (one without section breaks), you could easily create the ‘Page 3 of 7’ type numbering using the NumPages field. NumPages, however, counts total number of pages in the document and not in each section.
‘SectionPages,’ to the rescue!
Insert Page x of y Numbering in a Multiple Section Document.
- On the Insert tab, click Footer and select Edit Footer. The cursor will move to the footer of the current section.
- Position your cursor where you want to place the page number.
- On the Header & Footer Tools: Design tab, in the Header & Footer group, click Page Number, Current Position, and select Plain Number. The page number field is inserted, reflecting the current page number.*
- Type ‘ of ‘ (no quotes) after the page number.
- On the Header & Footer Tools: Design tab, in the Insert group, click Quick Parts, and select Field.
- Select Numbering in the Categories drop-down and SectionPages from the Field names area, then click OK. The SectionPages field is added to the footer using the default numeric format.
*Restart numbering , if necessary: Click Page Number, select Format Page Number, and change Page Numbering to Start at: 1.
Comments and questions are always welcome!